The Holy Spirit of Promise - J Oswald Sanders

Published by Marshall, Morgan & Scott, Ltd: London and Edinburgh, year unknown.

A large portion of my theology books are ones I inherited from the pastor who was my mentor when I was a ministry intern, given to me when he retired and was downsizing his library. And a selection of those were written by J Oswald Sanders, who had the privilege of serving as Superintendent of the New Zealand Bible Training Institute for some time. The Holy Spirit of Promise is the first book of his that I have read, and I have to admit it didn't grip me.

Don't get me wrong, this book contains a lot of good theology about the Holy Spirit, and in looking back to write this review I realise I have taken quite a lot of insightful quotes from the book for future use. Still, something about it seemed a little 'dry' at the time. Maybe it was just not the right book for me at that time, or maybe I simply have other authors that I prefer, but after reading this I decided to give away the remaining Sanders books I had rather than digging into them. They're still sitting in a box in the garage, and now that I have reflected again on the book (and remembered some of the good quotes from it) I may end up reconsidering. But, my summary would be: good information. A little bit dull in its delivery.

Completed 23 March 2019.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Picture Books

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

In a Free State - VS Naipaul