The Normal Christian Life - Watchman Nee

Published by Tyndale House Publishers, Inc.: Wheaton, Illinois, 1979.
First published 1957.

This is one of those 'solid' theology books that take a bit of time to read, as you need to chew over what the author is saying. But it is also a very stirring and challenging read as well.

I had heard of Watchman Nee many times, but this is the first book I have read of his. Something that I really enjoy about reading books by authors from a different culture is that they can come at something from a different angle. That seems to be the way here. Watchman Nee talks about the transforming power of the cross and the Spirit, but presents it in simple (yet challenging) terms - the "normal Christian life" is anything but 'normal'! "Do you know that God is asking of you your very life? There are cherished ideals, strong wills, precious relationships, much-loved work, that will have to go; so do not give yourself to God unless you mean it. God will take you seriously, even if you did not mean it seriously." (page 106)

 He also often uses examples from his ministry in China to get the message across. "Am I afraid of the will of God? The dear saint whom I have already mentioned as having had such an influence upon the course of my life, many times asked me the question: "Do you like the will of God?" It is a tremendous question. She did not ask, "Do you do the will of God?" She always asked, "Do you like the will of God?" That question goes deeper than anything else. I remember once she was having a controversy with the Lord over a certain matter. She knew what the Lord wanted, and in her heart she wanted it too. But it was difficult, and I heard her pray like this: "Lord I confess I don't like it, but please do not give in to me. Just wait, Lord - and I will give in to thee." She did not want the Lord to yield to her and to demands upon her. She wanted nothing but to please him." (pages 254-255)

Definitely worth a read, and a prayer, and a ponder.

Completed 26 February 2019.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Picture Books

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

In a Free State - VS Naipaul