The Sword of Shannara - Terry Brooks

Published by Orbit Books: Great Britain, 2014 (2006).
First published 1977.
Book 1 of the 'Original Shannara Trilogy': "The Sword of Shannara"; "The Elfstones of Shannara"; "The Wishsong of Shannara."

There are many different reasons why I pick the books I want to read. In this case, two sequels to The Sword of Shannara have been left in my classroom by a previous teacher, and being curious about the series I decided to find this book to see what they were about.

The Sword of Shannara follows Shea Ohmsford, a half-elf half-human living in the 'Shirelike' Shady Vale, who, along with his brother Flick, are recruited by the 'Gandalf-like' druid Allanon to find the titular sword, with which they will be able to defeat the 'Sauron-like' Warlock Lord. Now, none of these characters or places are direct parallels to the Lord of the Rings characters and places I have mentioned, but there is a strong sense of deja vu to a lot of the beats. From a gollum-like gnome obsessed with his treasure, to a tree that tries to eat one character, much of the plot does seem at very least inspired by Tolkien's world, occasionally to a distracting degree. The Sword of Shannara was Terry Brooks' first novel, and this also shines through at times, with far-fetched coincidences or unrealistic moments happening in order to move the plot along a little too often (and of course I demand absolute realism from any far-fetched fantasy series!). 

As someone who has never yet written a book despite desiring to I appreciate the work Brooks has gone to. I also am curious about the series going forward, as Brooks has written numerous other books in the 'Shannara-world', and I'm imagining there must be less Lord of the Rings allusions in the series as a whole. I also don't want to imply that there is nothing original in The Sword of Shannara. I particularly enjoyed the final reveal of what the power of the sword was, and the way it helped to defeat the Warlock Lord (spoilers!) was fairly original and satisfying. 

And yet as a whole the book was a little derivative and mildly frustrating. Enjoyable enough to read it through... yet not enough to make me race on to pick up the sequel.

Maybe someday. 

Also, just a little fun aside: considering how long Elise and I were reading A Voice in the Windits amusing that we finished that book, authored by Francine Rivers just before I finished this one by Terry Brooks. 

Rivers and Brooks.

Hehe, I'm so lame sometimes. 

Completed 19 July 2021.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Various Picture Books

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows

In a Free State - VS Naipaul