Scarry Word Book: On Holiday - Richard Scarry

Published by The Hamlyn Publishing Group Limited: London, New York Sydney, Toronto, 1984.

Each time I do one of these picture book lists, I try to include a book which is not a favourite of either myself or Elise, but which Ezekiel likes. This is that book this time around.

I remember that when I was young we had a few books in our house by Richard Scarry. I think they were more my brother's than mine, but they all shared the same distinctive art style, featuring animals in human settings. 

This book is a little different than some Richard Scarry works, in that it is based on previous Richard Scarry works, with the drawings seemingly taken and repurposed to make a book on a theme (this time, holidays) and including word lists.

Thus the name.

We get images of animals on boats, animals rock-climbing, animals at the beach, and a bear dressed as Father Christmas. It's all pretty weird, but in a quirky fashion that is almost humorous in itself. And Ezekiel seems to enjoy it for some reason.

Book List



(Ezekiel Books)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Fathers of the Greek Church - Hans von Campenhausen

The Master's Men - William Barclay

My Top 5 Books of 2025